last night i noticed something on this site which surely bugged me and only me. so if you look at the url you'll see a number - this one being 1715. it's not a hidden code, it just means that this is the 1715th photo i've posted on this photoblog. however that statement would not have been true yesterday, as at some point in the summer i made a miscalculation and all of the numbers were 40 greater than they should have been. this made absolutely no difference to any aspect of the site, and everything was working fine, but it really bugged me. it bugged me so much that i updated the urls of the last 50 photos... and all the internal links in those 50 posts... and then the same links that i have posted on flickr
. and then i wrote a bit of code to redirect the last 50 encoded links i've posted on twitter
. it took far too much of my energy, and sent me to bed far too late, and if anything i created a greater chance that things might not work in the future. but returning to a logical, consistent numbering system made me feel a little bit more sane... which i think makes me a little bit more insane.
here's the original